Dental Check list for Healthy Teeth and Gums
Maintaining good oral health is crucial for overall well-being. Regular dental check-ups and proper oral care are essential in preventing dental issues and achieving a healthy smile.
Dr. Paul Shinto, Dr. Bert Funatsu, Dr. Bryce Kato, and Dr. Matthew Hunter Shinto believe that prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Dental Health Checklist
- Brushing and Flossing Techniques: Proper brushing and flossing techniques are fundamental for maintaining oral hygiene. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Brush your teeth at least twice a day for two minutes, focusing on all surfaces of the teeth. Additionally, floss daily to remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth.
- Regular Dental Check-ups: Schedule routine check-ups with a trusted dentist like Paul Shinto DDS and Associates. Regular visits every six months allow for early detection of dental issues and professional cleanings removing stubborn plaque and tartar.
- Professional Teeth Cleaning: Professional cleanings help prevent gum disease and tooth decay. During a cleaning session, your hygienist will remove plaque, tartar, and stains from your teeth. This process ensures a healthy foundation for your oral health.
- Oral Cancer Screening: Oral cancer can be life-threatening if not detected early. Your Pasadena dentist performs oral cancer screenings during check-ups, examining the lips, tongue, gums, and throat. Early detection significantly increases the chances of successful treatment.
- X-rays and Diagnostic Tests: X-rays and other diagnostic tests help identify dental issues that may not be visible to the naked eye. These tests are essential for diagnosing cavities, bone loss, impacted teeth, and other oral conditions. Discuss the frequency of x-rays with your dentist.
- Gum Disease Evaluation: Gum disease, or periodontal disease, can lead to tooth loss and other health complications. Regular check-ups allow your dentist to evaluate the health of your gums, measure pocket depths, and provide appropriate treatment to prevent further damage.
- Dental Sealants: Dental sealants are thin coatings applied to the chewing surfaces of molars and premolars. They provide an additional layer of protection against decay-causing bacteria, especially for children prone to cavities.
- Fluoride Treatment: Fluoride strengthens tooth enamel and helps prevent tooth decay. Your Pasadena dentist may recommend professional fluoride treatments, particularly for children and individuals with a higher risk of cavities.
- Mouthguards and Nightguards: If you participate in sports or grind your teeth while sleeping, customized mouthguards and nightguards can protect your teeth from injury and prevent teeth grinding-related issues.
Dental Checkups in Pasadena
If you haven’t seen your dentist lately schedule an appointment with Paul Shinto DDS and Associates today.